Monday, September 14, 2009

"You Guys Really Have Something Special Here"

So we took the kiddos for an after-preschool lunch trip to BK this afternoon with my moms group. It's something we've done many times, and will do many more. I had noticed an older lady in the corner with her little boy (whom I thought at the time was her grandson). She was just eating lunch quietly with him and observing our group of mommies and masses of kids. I assumed she was probably rolling her eyes (on the inside of course) at the chaos we were all enduring.

I went to throw away my loads of trash when she stopped me and said "you guys really have something special here"... I was taken back. She proceeded to tell me that it wasn't everyday that you see a group of moms helping and coming along side each other the way that we were. She continued to talk to me for about 10 minutes about how she had a baby post-menopause, and at the age of 51, she felt very lonely with a toddler in tow. (FYI-I offered her info to join our group and she declined.) She then asked one final question that made me think all of the way home... "how did this group change your life?" Let me tell you...

I know this awesome group of girls that just get it. They understand why I am always 10 minutes late and a little disheveled. They get why some days my clothes are some days too big, some days too small, and occasionally they fit! They know why my hair is dirty, or not straightened. They understand why we use coupons for EVERYTHING, and instead of turning their noses when I admit to having a whopping .19 cents in our bank account (before deposit), they say at least it wasn't negative.

They are a great group of girls that will hold your baby, feed your toddler, and sometimes even change your kids diaper like they are their own. They bring you meals when you have a baby... or a hubby that just got laid off. They help you track down bargains at Target, and they make sure you ALWAYS get the best deal! They help hold hands, buckle car seats, clean up spills, load cars, watch kids, corral kids... whatever.

This group of girls will chat with you on a bad day or a good one. They offer advice on sleep habits, temper tantrums, poop, pregnancy, preschool, you name it. They will carpool with you to make the ride more bearable, or will sit in the backyard when you're stuck at home just to make the day more tolerable. They guarantee that I will get 2 hot meals a month (girls night out, and the organizational meeting) and a little time to recoup my mind, body, and soul.

And that's what it's really all about, our souls. They make my soul feel good. Some call us clickish, or like a sorority, but really at the end of the day, this moms group has gotten my soul through some really great, and some really tough times. We have something really special here, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

5 comments:

  1. I get it, and I *totally* miss it :(

    I hate that when I finally found you guys and got comfortable, we moved. I love being "home" but I miss the Moms group. I've met some great moms here(don't get me wrong!)but not a large group. I don't know a single mom here that is remotely close to my age, that has more than 1 kid. I get it and I miss it! Glad you guys are having fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I obviously *get it* and I'm always happy to give you an extra hand. That's the advantage to your own kids getting older, other people's babies become much more adorable :) Hopefully we'll see you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may "have something special" but you add to that special too, Mandy. It just wouldn't be the same without you. Thanks for being there for us too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how I missed this post earlier, but it's just beautiful, Mandy! I linked to it on my blog. :) I am so, so thankful for you girls!

    ReplyDelete