Sunday, May 31, 2009

Three In One...

I have three posts that I have wanted to share in my memory bank, so I know it's long, but just pretend you're reading three.

#1: Surgery




The boys surgery on Tuesday went well. We had to be at the Surgery Center at 7am for check-in. In the beginning I thought it was going to be a nightmare. The nurse took us back to the pre-op area, and said "Only one of you is going to be able to take them into the changing rooms." You have GOT to be kidding. We come as a team for a reason... "I'll do it", I say. So I take the boys back to get blood pressures, weights and to change into these adorable tiger gowns...

After I get them changed we get to meetup with daddy again for time in the playroom/waiting room. Dr. H comes in for a quick pre-surgery consultation, and then takes Carter back.


Here is Boo after his surgery. He ended up having another ear infection when he placed the tubes, I think that would be #7 this year! No exaggeration. When they went back I told Dr. H. that I thought there would be 14 molluskums (skin tags) to remove. He removed 24!

Then it was Cole's turn. Cole did well during surgery. Dr. H. placed the tubes. He also said that his adenoids were the size of his thumbs.... uh, maybe that's why his ears are always infected. Cole had a really hard time coming out of the anesthesia. He was fighting the nurses (common side effect) and throwing up, so they gave him Demerol and put him back to sleep for about 30 minutes to sleep the effects off. What this ended up causing was a drugged baby for the day. In all honesty, the rest was probably really good for his body. He did not wake up for the day until 5:30 in the evening, and he still went to bed by 10.

So, it's over, now I'm just waiting for the bills. But thank you God for healthy babies. If this is the most I ever worry about I am blessed.


#2 School's Out for the Summer!

Woo Hoo!

We finished the school year, and I will give a quick recap... because we change so much each year.

  • I got to see 2 babies learn to crawl and then walk this year.
  • We moved from bottles, to baby food, to chicken nuggets (I cooked approximately 672 of them this year).
  • We have survived 534 diaper changes, and 558 hours of naps.
  • We have been to the park, the zoo, on walks, and we even bought a van to make it easier next year.
  • We painted, colored, did play dough, cut cookies, cut ornaments, and made messes in general.
  • We added a new baby to our group. I have watched babies turn 1, 2, and 3 this year.
  • We survived ear infections, sinus infections, strep infections, hand-foot-and mouth, more colds and allergies than you can count, and I think we even did it with grace.
  • We spent 3 months with daddy added to the group. Love ya!
  • We cried, hollered, pushed, pinched, bit, pulled hair, but mostly we laughed and loved each other. What a great year.
  • To end the year we celebrated Friday evening with BBQ and a movie. We all came together to share some yummy summer dishes, and then we watched a movie in the back yard.
    For those of you that have requested Alyssa's jello recipe, here it is.
    (You will need to do this for each color you make. Alyssa and I recommend lots of color- they'll all get eaten, we promise!)
    9 oz. flavored Jello
    3 small packets of unflavored Knox gelatin
    2 1/2 cups boiling water
    3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
    1. Mix the flavored Jello and the gelatin packets together (dry)
    2. Add the boiling water to the mixture and stir well until it is dissolved
    3. Mix in the heavy whipping cream (it looks kind of funny, but trust it)
    4. Pour into 9x13 pan (ungreased)
    5. Refrigerate overnight (the whipping cream will float to the top, oh, and make sure the jello is on a flat surface in the fridge, or the cream will move to one side, and it doesn't turn out.)
    6. Cut into squares, and enjoy!
    Quite a gorgeous little treat huh. They were truly enjoyed by all. (This is lime, berry blue, and strawberry)


    The Grill Master.
    Storing bananasicles in the trunk- he even ate them.
    Some time on "the playground" (aka: swing set)
    It's movie time!
    Everyone get comfy.
    Lights out.
    Fun times.
    #3: More Determined Than Ever
    So Saturday morning I had some things going on, but I was DETERMINED to get to the Y before the day got crazy. (I even stayed up until midnight packing and loading the car to get there by 8:30), so when I arrived at the Y at 8:43, you can believe that I was already frustrated. You see to start off, on the drive over I realized the parking lot of my normal Y was closed for a race, so I was going to have to go to a different Y, or risk hauling the kids from far away lands to get there, so I trudged on. I arrived at the other Y, and I forgot socks for the kids (I just can't get used to putting them in sandals and packing socks). Since it was not my normal friendly kid zone, these women seemed to care less about my determination, and just wanted me to scoot along... oh no sista, not me. So I said, "Uh, so you want me to take them?" (voice full of sarcasm and disgust) Now, I should say, I know rules are in place for a reason, but good god, let the kiddos wear their sandals in the Kid Zone for what now is only going to be a 40 minute workout... "Well I can sell you socks for $1.00." Ok, now we're rolling... s***, I don't have my wallet. So, she put a note on my tab saying I owe $1.00- Good luck lady, join the club. Now, MORE DETERMINED THAN EVER to make the next 40 minutes worth while I jumped on the treadmill. I skipped the warm up... (my heart was already racing, and my blood was pumping from the journey, I think I had covered that) and went straight to running AND...
    I RAN MY FIRST 5K ON THE TREADMILL!!!!! I did it in 35:14. I have never done anything close to that. I just started running, and I kept telling myself that I could do better, and I did. I think I may run the 8K race (not to race anyone, but to prove it to myself) on June 20th, details to come...

    2 comments:

    1. Glad to hear the surgery went well! Congrats on the 5K! How exciting to have a van for next year- you won't be home-bound!!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Go for it! Great job on the running and glad the boys are doing good. Can't wait to see you soon!

      Kenna

      ReplyDelete