Sunday, February 8, 2009

50 Pounds...

I've wanted to start a blog for quite some time, and just never seem to get around to it, but I think it's truly time... I've spent two weeks "designing" my blog... not that it's anything great, I'm just that technology illiterate (ha!)! So here it is The Anderson Shuffle... a daily encounter... with the Anderson's... RAW!

I'm starting out by sharing my latest (and close to greatest) personal accomplishment...

I'VE NOW LOST 50 POUNDS!
I'm going to go back a little bit to confess some things and answer some questions about what I've been doing over the past few years and weeks..

As some of you may know I lost my best friend and mom 5 years ago to a heart condition. She was taken suddenly and unexpectedly on New Years Eve of 2003. She had been to the doctor for a full physical just a few weeks before, and she was found to be healthy except overweight. (I haven't had a full physical, but looking at myself a few months ago, I'm sure the doctor would say the same thing to me.)


I ate my way through lots of pain and stress, had two babies in two years, and quickly found myself at a place I never thought I would be... not wanting to move, breathing heavy when I did, not wanting my picture taken, and wishing it could be erased when someone did. I don't know what made the light bulb come on, but on August 15th, I decided it was time to change.

We started out by joining our local YMCA, and on August 15th, Brian and I made our first trip there. I trudged through 10 minutes on an ARC trainer and wanted to fall of and lay on the floor when I was done, but for dignity's sake, I got off and took a couple of laps around the track... READY TO GO HOME AND NEVER COME BACK!... but we did, day after day, week after week. Next Sunday will be our 6-month anniversary to a healthier life. A lot of things have changed...
1. I now eat 1550 calories per day. Not to say I never go over, but a piece of birthday cake is now a sliver (literally), and I'd prefer a salad over a cheeseburger. My body craves something different now, and I try to be more sensitive to what I really need. LET ME MAKE THIS VERY CLEAR... I am not on a diet. I never will be. They don't work, they don't last, they deprive you. I will not be deprived. I eat sweets, carbs, regular fat items, etc. I am making this change for good... I needed bread yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

2. I am still a popoholic... but now I drink diet pop. I HATE that word, but I know it's been a key to my success. Anyone who knows me, knows I loved drinking 2-5 Cokes per day. Now I drink about 2 diet drinks per day... there is a wonderful world of diet drinks out there... Diet Dr. Pepper was my starter (the least repulsive), followed by Diet Coke. This week we tried sugar free Koolaid (we had a free sample, but it's DELICIOUS), and Diet Root beer. YUMMY!
3. I work out 5-6 times per week. I do 60 minutes of cardio, and about 30 minutes of weight. I try and treat it like brushing my teeth... you just have to do it. I had a friend tell me very early into my journey "The only way you can lose weight is through pee, poop, and sweat." Gross, I know, but true, and I try and remind myself of this when I don't want to go. I love spin class the most, but spend time on the arc trainer, and have even started jogging.
So there you have it... no secrets. I started this journey weighing 259 lbs, and now weigh 209 lbs. Brace yourself... I have pictures if you want to see me in my sports bra and yoga pants...

Me in August: 259 lbs... hard to admit to.


A side view...


Me today... 209 lbs! Still a long way to go, but much better.


A side view of me today! (Sorry it's so grainy... I'm having trouble with my pics.)

I have to say I have truly and selfishly done this for myself. However, I hope that because of doing this my children have a mommy that lives a long and healthy life, and can drive them crazy late into their 70's! I want to do things differently. Like I said I am not perfect, and I have a long way to go, but I am seeing changes now, and that is exciting!

(P.S.- I am sorry for some of the layout errors... I cannot seem to get the spacing to save changes... it's driving me crazy, but I'll never post this if I just don't let it go.)



5 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy, I am so excited to have a new blog to follow. You look absolutely fantastic, and I bet you feel even better! Way to make that kind of commitment to yourself and your family. I am just starting to get on the right track, and seeing your success is a huge inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy! I am so inspired by you and proud of your hard work- awesome! I look forward to continuing to see your success and what else is in store for your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy, you are doing awesome! You look great and your hair is super cute too! I'm glad that you started a blog so I can keep up with you guys...I can't believe how big Carter looks since I last saw him. I'm a follower now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome, Mandy! What a great accomplishment. I have so much respect for people who make a choice like this and really follow through on the commitment, even when things get hard. BTW, I'm reading a memoir you might enjoy called "Such a Pretty Fat" by Jen Lancaster. It's a pretty hilarious story of someone making similar life changes.

    ReplyDelete